Palazzo De Carolis is one of the most representative buildings of Roman eighteenth century. Built in 1714 as a residence by Livio De Carolis, the building was later sold to the Jesuits. Finally, the palace was purchased by Banco di Roma which transformed it in order to accommodate the representative offices of the bank according to a project by architect Pio Piacentini who adapts the various spaces through an Art Nouveau restructuring.
The large backyard is therefore covered and transformed into the hall of the bank. The numerous changes of intended uses and the resulting modifications have profoundly altered the shape of the building, and fragmented its structure and spaces. The reorganisation project, currently required by the client, has been interpreted by identifying two objectives: that of allowing Unicredito staff and customer use, following the logic of the overall “Flagship” design concept, and that of providing a key to understanding the spaces and their relationship with the city, taking into account the fact that the collection of Unicredit Banca di Roma is exhibited in several rooms of the palace, and that it includes artists such as Andy Warhol, Giorgio Morandi and Enrico Balla.
The decorative and volume elements blend into the structure called central island. The multi-level couches, completely covered in laminate, expand from this central element, while the curved back wall behind the reception desk extends to complete the island. Three internet terminals with laminated top are placed inside.
The project envisages totally emptying the Art Nouveau style hall and inserting a structure consisting of vertical elements supporting a semicircle (Stone Age). This structure connects the central island to the surrounding offices, which include cabinets with two sliding doors. The offices are supplied with elliptical workstations with a black top, complete with a crystal glass operating console.